Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The value of a vegan treat from a friend

I just have to say how much I love my friends.  This new lifestyle is not easy and I've gotten nothing but support and encouragement from all of them.  One of my friends just told me she got me a vegan treat to have during an informal meeting at school where coffee and donuts are served.  How cool is that?  I suppose this might have been a lot harder if I didn't have people like this in my corner who want me to succeed.  It makes me feel loved.  To all my friends, family, team members and anyone that reads this thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I send you love back and all my warm blessings to you.  It's been a week and a half since I've become vegan and I feel great.  I keep saying this not to drive you all crazy with my repetition of thoughts, but rather because I am totally astounded by it.  I told Tess (author of RHIW- see website at bottom of my page in orange, if you're interested in her book) that I almost feel like I took a narcotic that's how crazy good I feel.  I think maybe because this is so new to me that I can really compare it to how I used to feel.  I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, but for now I'm feeling the most energy, well being, peaceful, calm & happy than I've felt in a LONG time.  My good mood effects others.  My children are more happy and relaxed because I'm not short patient with them.  My husband (although still angry with me about money) hasn't yelled at me or fight with me because I'm so peaceful.  Well, except yesterday when somebody made me really angry with good cause.  But hey!  I'm no pushover no matter HOW happy or good I feel =).  I hope this period of astonished well being lasts for a while.  I like the fact that I'm not used to it.  I like the fact that I appreciate it.  I want to hold on to this feeling and remember it as the time I saved myself from myself.  Or maybe I didn't. Why did that voice tell me to become vegan?  Who was that voice?  Thank you whoever you are, whether you believe it was spirit guides, angels, my conscious, a life force, or that I hear voices 'cause I'm crazy, or my 5 year old whispering it to me,  thank you.  I still have to watch myself.  The issues I had with eating before being vegan are still there.  Like an alcoholic can't stop drinking, I sometimes have a hard time to stop eating something I really like.  I see now that hummus is a food under watch with me.  I could happily eat the hell out of a whole thing of it if I let myself.  Will I always be a foodholic?  It's kinda not fair because I can't just stop eating like drug addicts or alcoholics can not have their drugs/drink.  I have to eat to live.  I must be vigilant.  I guess I've taken a step in the right way with this eating, because at least the foods I'm addicted to now are about 1/2 if not less as bad as before.  So yes, I'd rather be addicted to hummus (blended chickpeas) than cupcakes.  Ahh, yes.  It's the little things we do for ourselves =).  Speaking of that should I reward myself for sticking to my lifestyle and losing weight?  I used to reward myself with food, which now in retrospect doesn't seem like that good of an idea.  I could buy myself something, but I would bring the wrath of my frugal husband down upon me.  I don't want that.  Besides, that's what got him mad at me in the first place.  I know, I know, it's my fault.  But see when you're not happy and feel your missing something, than I just figured that something was expensive purses and shoes!!!  There is a method behind that madness and it is this:  shoes and purses never cared how much I weighed.  Not a bit.  So, I thought I should bring them home and love them =).  My husband didn't love them so much.  So, maybe I should NOT reward myself but rather revel in the way I feel.  And the support I get.  And the love of my friends and family.  I think I could live like that!!  Let's see my stats:

Hunger:  Wow, pretty good.  I had a scarey moment at the kid's school 'cause I was so hungry, but I ate green beans.
Mood:  Whooohooo.  Awesome! 
Cravings: Hummus...yummus
Health:  I felt so good, I jogged back to my house from the kid's bus stop.  Not that this is a long way BUT I risked serious mockery from anybody watching and I didn't care =)

I hope you are all feeling good out there.  I wish you all health and vitality and the joy of living.  I've had my share of horrible times and I've had my share of wonderful.  I have to say that it is the total experience that makes life beautiful.  where there's good, there's bad,  where there's light, there's dark, where there's up, there's down.  It is a balanced universe.  Hang on for all the joy, I'm sending it your way.  I want to share my "good" with you.  =)  Goodnight everyone, be healthy!

Danielle

3 comments:

  1. Who are you and what have you done with Danielle!!!??? I am soooooo proud of you! You are doing GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you have that kind of support. I once read that living without encouragement is like living without sunshine. Put your sunglasses on girl and continue to bask in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tess posted your blog on facebook and i came to check it out. it's good to see that veganism is doing such good stuff for you! you will only see the benifits continue as the months and years pass.

    i was thinking about your treat comment. i'm starting to get to the point (been vegan about 4 years) where sweets don't do it for me anymore. i used to LOVE them and make things often and now when i have sweets i'm like, wait, this isn't as awesome as i thought (even though some cake is pretty awesome). i think it is important to reward ourselves. perhaps rethinking "rewards" that stay in line with what you like and what is within your budget. to treat myself, i usually pick a fancy recipe and make it or i buy some healthy snacks i don't usually buy because they are a little more than i usually like to spend on things (like picking up a pineapple or frozen cherries for smoothies). the simple things are truely what makes life awesome.

    ReplyDelete